Big thanks to Effervescent Hedgepig for nominating me for the Liebster Award! If you have any interest in jewelry whatsoever, why not hop on over and see what she has going on? She even sells her pieces on Etsy, which is pretty rad. Eventually I’d like to market my blog as well, in the form of the most geeky and sarcastic not-a-cookbook cookbook you’ll ever read. Some day! I suck at talking about myself so it took me forever to get around to doing this; hope you enjoy.
The Liebster Award is an award for small or new blogs that deserve a chance in the spotlight. Once received, it’s passed on (as a chain letter might be) to other blogs that the recipient thinks are worthy of attention, and so forth. By asking each nominee to answer a set of questions, the award allows new bloggers to tell their audience something about themselves. Ready? Let’s go.
Here are the rules of the award:
- Thank the nominator.
- Display the award.
- Nominate 10 more bloggers with 10 new questions.
- Answer the questions.
- What inspired you to start blogging?
I’ve followed Beth from Budget Bytes for a couple years or so and I also follow several foodie YouTube channels. When Beth made a post detailing how to start a blog I was finally like, “Ah, fuck it. I’m in.” I’ve never been anything but an amateur chef and I thought it was a neat idea. Spent a day collaborating on the blog title with my coworkers and it kind of took off from there.
- Finish the sentence: “Keep Calm and…”
Follow your intuition.
- Is there a story behind your blog name?
Sort of? Once I got the idea in my head that it was going to be a Geek and Game themed food blog, “Skill Up Skillet” was the first thing that came to mind. Simple, catchy, memorable (or at least I think so!), and I love the idea that (in a video game) your cooking skill improves as you utilize it more. With each recipe I concoct it’s kind of like a personal ‘skill up’ for me.
- What color is most prominent in your wardrobe?
Black. It came from my high school goth days and stuck. That, and I just naturally happen to like black.
- Do you prefer chalkboards or dry-erase boards?
I don’t know that I’ve ever thought about it. Chalkboards, hands down.
- What advice would you give your younger self?
Don’t fucking let anyone else dictate who you are.
- What makes you smile?
Despite what most people think, lots of things. When a recipe turns out right, when the blog is doing well and growing, when my puppy tries to keep me from getting out of bed and going to work, when my Hearthstone deck demolishes (or at least stands up to) my boyfriend’s deck…
- What is your favorite blog?
I’m supposed to pick one? No. You get three:
- How To Cook That with Ann Reardon
- My Cupcake Addiction with Elise Strachan
- Kitchen Overlord with Chris-Rachael Oseland
- Cats or dogs?
Dogs. After my experiences with a former tenant and his cat I will probably never own a cat. Cats are dicks.
- If you had to summarize your blog in one sentence, what would you say?
Skill Up Skillet is your go-to source for geeky recipes, sarcasm, and a sailor’s mouth- in no particular order.
My questions for the nominees:
- Why blogging? Why not knitting or building the Taj Mahal out of matchsticks?
- You are given one test trip in a prototype time machine. Ignoring the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff that would be used to exploit this indefinitely, where do you travel to in time and why?
- What is the best thing you’ve ever bought for yourself?
- Who let the dogs out?
- What is your favorite word? Why?
- What advice would you give to someone thinking about starting a blog?
- What do you plan to achieve by blogging?
- Who is your biggest role model?
- Reach for the stars! What’s your favorite book, movie, TV series, or game with the word “Star” in the title?
- Convince your reader to read your 10th-most-recent post in 10 words or less.
I’m supposed to nominate people now. Oh man…: James Proclaims!, Escapades in Bizarrchaeology, Nutmeg and Whiskey, Fennec Fawn, Nerdy By Nature, My Kind of Pop Culture, Lazarus and Lithium, FUJINSEI, Tritops Gaming, and R.P.G. (Runkle Plays Games).